Guest post courtesy of The Rogue Brussel Sprout
Cookies are well-loved by all, but they’re often made with ingredients that don’t nourish the body… until now! These beauties are flourless, sweetened only with fruit, and get their fat from nuts and seeds. You’ll incorporate an Everipe smoothie kit right into the dough, which provides not only great flavor but also a variety of nutritious, whole food ingredients and healthy fats. These cookies come together in just a few minutes in a food processor, and there’s no fussing with specialty flours or weird ingredients. Best of all, you can choose your own flavor profile! Select whichever Everipe smoothie kit you want to use, then choose your mix-ins to match. Chocolate chunks to go with the Cocoa Mojo kit? Macadamia nuts to go with the Tropical Zing kit? Almonds to go with the Unbelievaberry kit? The sky is the limit!
Vegan Superfood Cookies
- 2 c pitted dates
- ½ c peanut butter (or other nut/seed butter)
- Everipe Smoothie Kit of choice
- Optional 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp ginger, and/or ¼ tsp cardamom or allspice depending on your flavor choice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ c mix-ins of choice
- Preheat the oven to 350° and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or oil it well.
- Give the dates a coarse chop to make sure there are no pits inside. It’s always important to double-check, since so-called “pitted” dates often contain pit remnants, which can break teeth!
- Put the dates, peanut butter, smoothie kit contents (both the inner superfood packet and the freeze/dried fruit), optional spices, baking powder, and salt into a food processor.
- Process just until the mixture begins to form a sticky ball. If you’re in doubt about the texture, take a spoonful and see if you can form it into a ball; if not, keep processing.
- Add your desired mix-ins and pulse the food processor a few times, just until the mix-ins are incorporated.
- Form the mixture into balls, each about 2 tbsp or slightly bigger than a golf ball. Press the mixture together firmly so that it stays together, then press each ball into a cookie shape. The cookies won’t spread, so make them the shape/size you want now. This should give you about 8-10 cookies.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
For more of Lee's genius recipes, check out her website or follow her kitchen adventures on IG at @theroguebrusselsprout.